What happens when you put a bunch of media types from magazines, newspapers, and television on a bus to play two holes of golf on 9 courses for a total of 18 holes in a single day? Eleven-plus hours of absolute hacker insanity.
The Oct. 2 Divine 9 Media Tour was as memorable on the golf course as it was on the bus that carried 15 writers and anchors across Carson City and Carson Valley, where each teed it up on signature holes that make up the Divine 9.
“I’ve had a lot of memorable experiences on the golf course, but this one is by far the best and strangest,” quipped Bill Felcyn, who’s yarn about a practical joke among buddies on an Arizona golf course won him entry to play in the epic Wild West golf media tournament. Felcyn’s writing entry was part of Divine 9′s “Hooked on Golf” radio program contested featured on KNBR 680 in San Francisco.
After a good night’s rest and breakfast at the host hotel, Carson Valley Inn in Minden, Felcyn joined the Divine 9 press corps on the journey that includes countless stories, coolers full of beverages and dozens of lost golf balls. At the end of the tournament, in which the last hole was played in the dark at Carson Valley Golf Course, the players dined a hearty basque dinner at JT Basque Bar & Dining Room in Gardnerville.
To break it down some, here’s a sample of stats that were compiled:
- Drinks served at pre-tournament Carson Valley Inn reception: 111
- Beers consumed during the tournament both on and off the shuttle bus: 106
- Bottles of water to hydrate: 74; Sports drinks: 23; Cans of Red Bull: 5
- Pitchers of margaritas served at Eagle Valley Golf Course: 3
- Lost golf balls: 97
- 53 pars, 94 bogeys, 104 double-bogeys, 3 birdies, 33 snowmen.
- Number of sheep references: 6
- Number of colorful language references: too many to count
- 1,400 photos taken.
The winner of this year’s Divine 9 Media Tournament was Dan Hinxman, sports writer for the Reno Gazette-Journal who carded an amazing 88. Not bad given the amount of trash-talk and icing going on among fellow journalists.